Re: [css3-fonts] Copyedits Part A

Hello fantasai,

Monday, February 4, 2013, 7:15:20 AM, you wrote:

(a  bunch  of  editorial  suggestions  with  which  I  am  largely  in
agreement). Comments on specific suggestions follow:

>    # This section is included as background for some of the problems
>    # and situations that are described in other sections. It should
>    # be viewed as informative only.

> Usually we just write

>    | This section is non-normative.

Usually  we  do,  but  in  this  case  I  feel  John's  additional text  is  more
informative. Perhaps:

This section is non-normative. It is included as background, to illustrate
some of the problems and situations that are described in other
sections.

>    # Although the character map of a font maps a given character
>    # to a glyph for that character, modern font technologies such
>    # as OpenType and AAT (Apple Advanced Typography) provide a
>    # richer set of rules for performing this mapping.

> I'm having a bit of trouble with this sentence. There's supposed
> to be a contrast between the two clauses linked by "although",
> but there isn't one. Having a bit of trouble explaining how to
> fix it though. :/

This section is saying several things
-  the  character  map definition given above is just the start of the
process, not the whole of it
-   other  mechanisms  supplement  the  character  map,  rather  than
replacing it
This  sction  does  not  give  any reason whhy such supplementation is
needed, and it would be helpful if it did.

Perhaps:

The  basic  mapping  of characters to glyphs provided by the character
map  is  suppplemented  in modern font technologies – such as OpenType
and  AAT  (Apple Advanced Typography) – by a richer set of rules which
provide, for example, contextual glyph substitution.

--
Best regards,