Re: [css3-syntax] Added an "an+b parsing" section, please review

From: Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@kozea.fr>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2013 16:17:10 -0700
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
CC: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Le 03/02/2013 15:13, Tab Atkins Jr. a écrit :
> Sigh, damn comments.
>
> I'll have to see if the rest of the WG is okay with ignoring this.
>
> It might not be too hard to work around this, though. If I export the
> list of token pairs that need to have comments inserted when
> serializing,

Isn’t that what you have here?
http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-syntax/#serialization

> I can invoke that here, and just insert whitespace
> instead.  That'll still possible be wrong, though - putting a comment
> between the step and the "n" will fail.

Is it supposed to? AFAICT no-one knows, so there’s probably some room to
pick whatever is more convenient to spec.

> Switching to a pure token-based parsing is the way to fix that for
> good, but it's so complicated. :/  It's not hard to write down, it's
> just*long*  and*annoying*.

You’d need to change back the tokenizer to emit comment tokens.

Anyway, I gave this a try back in June (see attachment)
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Jun/0159.html

What I got then is probably wrong in many corner cases.

--
Simon Sapin