Re: Extending Class Proposal

From: Philip Walton <philip@philipwalton.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 20:08:18 -0800
To: Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>
Cc: Chris Eppstein <chris@eppsteins.net>, "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 7:04 PM, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 2/1/13, Chris Eppstein <chris@eppsteins.net> wrote:
>
> > If anyone has questions about our implementation or the "theory" behind
> it,
> > please don't hesitate to ask me.
> >
> What does this proposal make possible that can't already be done with
> multiple classes?

Developers don't always have access to the HTML source. This is common with
CMSs. In these situations, extending classes can allow you to reuse style
rules in a way that wouldn't be possible otherwise.

But even in situations where you do have access to the source and adding
the extra classes to the HTML does exactly the same thing, I would still
prefer to be able to extend classes natively. It makes managing HTML
templates easier.