Re: [css-shapes][css-masking] Not specified basic shape

On Dec 22, 2013, at 9:38 PM, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> CSS Shapes has the following syntax for the ’shape-outside’ property[1]:
>
> 	auto | [<basic-shape> || <box>] | <image>
>
> This basically allows the following valid example:
>
> 	shape-outside: margin-box;
>
> No shape is specified. What is the shape used for this property?
>
> I think there are two useful possibilities:
>
> 1) The property is treated as if ‘auto’ was specified
> 2) An implicit inset() shape is specified matching the size of the specified box.
>
> The first one might be the simplest, but the second option seems to make sense as well. I would actually think option 2 is preferable.
>
> The ‘clip-path’ property has the same problem [2]:
>
> 	<clip-source> | [ <basic-shape> || <box> | bounding-box ] | none

> 1) The property is treated as if ‘none’ was specified
> 2) The element is clipped to the specified box by an implicit use of inset().
>
> I think Option 2 is preferable as well as some kind of shortcut.
>
> However, none of both specifications do specify the behavior yet. For my part, I want 'clip-path' behave the same as 'shape-outside’.

I forgot to mention another possibility: changing the syntax.

	auto | <basic-shape> <box>? | <image>

In which case you can not switch <basic-shape> and <box> unless the syntax is changed to:

	auto | <basic-shape> <box>? | <box> <basic-shape> | <image>

Dirk