RE: [css-break][css-backgrounds] Sizing backgrounds across fragments

From: Mihai Balan <mibalan@adobe.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 09:52:50 +0000
To: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>

-----Original Message-----
From: Tab Atkins Jr. [mailto:jackalmage@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, December 13, 2013 8:46 PM
To: fantasai
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: [css-break][css-backgrounds] Sizing backgrounds across fragments

> I think going with first is best.  Any choice seems fairly arbitrary and can be argued for or against depending on the situation, so might as well stick with the simplest and stream-friendliest version.

I think arbitrary has a lot of nuances and not all arbitraries are the same :)

My point: the first in a collection of things tends to be different than the rest of things (see drop-caps, differently-formatted first-lines or first-children, opening pages, etc.). That's why I believe defining a behavior based on the styling of the first fragment might not be best - I'm really in favor to using the widest fragment :)

My 2cents,
m.