Re: [css-masking] reference boxes

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 21:37:03 -0800
To: www-style@w3.org
On 12/16/2013 09:23 PM, Rik Cabanier wrote:
> fantasai wrote:
> > I think the border-box should be the default here, and you use
> > 120% etc. to get more than that.
>

> Why not have the same as for backgrounds? Is there a reason to have a different one?

Yes. Usually for clipping, you think about the border area as part
of the thing you're clipping. This also matches up to Shapes, which
defaults to the border-box.

> In my mind, clipping and masking have the same initial area as the background.
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-backgrounds/#background-clip

I would like clipping and masking to have the same initial area.
I'm not really convinced it should match the initial background
origin.

> CSS masking and clipping should follow how backgrounds are fragmented
> when you use 'slice':
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-break/#box-splitting
> I can't see any reason to ever allow 'clone'

Your logic here works for me.

~fantasai