Re: [css-break] breaking inside padding

On 07/18/2013 03:03 PM, François REMY wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here's another css-break question to queue into your "to-look-at" list.
> This time, I would like to understand whether the Gecko behavior is
> valid according to the fragmentation spec or not.
>
> The test case contain a single block element whose vertical padding
> makes it too tall for a fragmentainer.
>
> Most browsers agrees that the break happens at the pixel line where
> the bottom padding starts to be too tall, but Firefox does make use
> a line break inside the block element itself in a way that looks
> odd to me.

I think Morten explained clearly why this is correct per spec. I'll
try to explain why this is the behavior chose by the spec. :) It looks
weird in testcases, and possibly some layout applications. But consider,
for example, an instruction book with a warning box. It has a bright
red border and some padding to give space between the text and the
border. It would not make sense to break inside the padding, pushing
just a portion of the border to the next page. It makes more sense to
split the box between line boxes, including some content on each page.

If it's important and desired for authors to be able to break inside
the padding for some reason, I'd like to see some use cases. We could
then allow it by allowing widows/orphans: 0 to enable such behavior.
(Right now the minimum is 1, which matches to the behavior you are
seeing: including at least 1 line of content before the end of the
block.)

~fantasai