Re: [css-masking] clip-path with invalid url

On Dec 11, 2013, at 7:00 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

> On 12/11/2013 07:46 AM, Dirk Schulze wrote:
>>
>> On Dec 11, 2013, at 11:46 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>>
>>>   6. # If the URI reference is not valid [...], no clipping is applied.
>>>      Please clarify whether a stacking context is still created
>>>      or whether the behavior is equivalent to specifying 'none'.
>>
>> I would say a stacking context should be created to match the behavior
>> but think that implementations don’t do that currently. I would like
>> to base the decision on the current implemented behavior.
>
> Then please investigate currently-implemented behavior. But please also
> raise this to the WG, as the implementors might decide they don't like
> the currently-implemented behavior.

I checked the behavior on Firefox, Safari and Chrome. (IE just supports clip-path and mask on SVG which does not have stacking contexts.)

All implementations create a stacking context for clip-path on HTML even if the url() is “invalid”. Means the fragment identifier does not exists, resource is not loaded or does not point to an <clipPath> element. I also tested the behavior on ‘mask’ with the same result.

In all cases the three engines WebKit, Gecko and Blink do create a stacking context.

Now it is up the implementations if they want to change the behavior. Given that all implementations are consistent, I do not expect that to happen.

Greetings,
Dirk