Re: [css-masking] clip-rule

From: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 09:59:41 -0800
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>

On Dec 11, 2013, at 6:22 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

> On 12/11/2013 07:54 AM, Dirk Schulze wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Dec 11, 2013, at 11:46 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>>
>>>   7. clip-rule is not defined. At all. There's some syntax, an explanation
>>>      of how the two values differ, and an example, but no definition
>>>      of what the property actually *does*.
>>
>> I put the explanation into the example [1]. Examples are normative.
>
> Specification by example is not OK.

And it is not even the relevant part for the specification of clip-rule. The spec says:

"
nonzero
	See description of fill-rule property [SVG11].
evenodd
	See description of fill-rule property [SVG11].

The clip-rule property only applies to graphics elements that are contained within a <clipPath> element.

fill-rule gives a detailed description and the last sentence (also normative and not part of the example) says where the property applies to. SVG 1.1 is a normative reference, so no further specification text needed. It is similar to the relation of the mask-* properties and CSS Background and Borders.

Greetings,
Dirk