Re: [css-color] Safari 7 is color-managing CSS colors?

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2013 06:56:30 +0100
To: Zack Weinberg <zackw@panix.com>
CC: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Hello Zack,

Saturday, December 7, 2013, 3:47:33 PM, you wrote:

> If everything is mapped through sRGB internally, doesn't that mean
> wide-gamut images will be compressed to the sRGB space even when the
> monitor profile would accommodate them?

Yes, it would and as you note, that is undesirable and needs to
change.

> That seems unlikely to be
> what authors of wide-gamut content would want (consider high-end
> photographic galleries, for instance).
Yes.

That is why SVG2 allows you to specify a different internal space,
including LAB (which is also usually the internal (profile connection)
space) for an ICC-based workflow. I'd like that as a more general
facility for CSS rather than being SVG-specific.

--
Best regards,