Re: [css-color] Safari 7 is color-managing CSS colors?

From: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 20:31:48 -0800
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com>, Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 7:52 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 10:21 AM, Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com> wrote:
> > On 7 Dec 2013, at 7:28 am, Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org> wrote:
> >> I assume its still the case that ICC-tagged raster images are
> >> correctly handled (converted from source colourspace to output device
> >> colourspace)?
> >
> > Yes. If not, itís a bug.
>
> Yes, tagged images have always worked, and still correctly do so in Safari.
>
> So, now that Safari is doing this, and presumably have decided that
> the compat costs are worth eating, we should discuss just requiring
> this in CSS.  Designers tend to use Macs in the first place, so new
> content will tend to be produced with correct colors in the future,
> and we can make that more likely if we all follow along and do it.
> Chrome people are willing to put in the work to do this as well.  This
> would be a great topic for our next call.

Can you tell me where the color workflow is defined?
For instance, it is defined that all CSS colors should be tagged with an
sRGB profile. Image can optionally have a tag as well.

How are those colors actually mapped when going to screen?
I believe that in the case of Core Graphics, everything is drawn into a
sRGB device which is then mapped to the output device.
So, a tagged imaged would go: Image profile -> sRGB -> monitor profile.
Assuming that the output device is properly calibrated, you would get the
same colors everywhere.

Is this how it's supposed to work? Or is a tagged image supposed to go to
the monitor profile directly?
Can you specify the rendering intent anywhere?