Re: [css-color] Safari 7 is color-managing CSS colors?

On 7 Dec 2013, at 7:28 am, Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org> wrote:

> Hello Dean,
>
> Friday, December 6, 2013, 8:53:35 PM, you wrote:
>
>> Yes, we now follow the CSS spec and match to sRGB.
>
> Cool and (unlike Microsoft IE 9/10 which convert colours *to* sRGB but
> then fails to convert them *to* the monitor gamut if that is not sRGB)
> it seems from Tab's comment that you correctly do both steps (read the
> CSS colors as sRGB, and transform to output device colourspace.

We tag the colours as sRGB, then OS X does whatever magic is needed
for the output device.

> Could you confirm that you do this for both monitors and for printers?

I can’t confirm since I don’t have a printer, but I assume it would work.

> I assume its still the case that ICC-tagged raster images are
> correctly handled (converted from source colourspace to output device
> colourspace)?

Yes. If not, it’s a bug.

Please file any bugs you see. Some plugin content could possibly now not
match the CSS colours used in the page, but that’s kind-of expected.

(BTW - Tim Horton is the evil engineer behind all this, and he’s reading
the thread, but I’ve told him that the path to eternal happiness definitely
includes NEVER talking on a standards email list)

Dean