Re: [mediaqueries4] zoom-ratio as a media feature

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 5:46 AM, Alex Bell <alex@bellandwhistle.net> wrote:

> There's a demonstrated desire of authors to be able to detect zoom
> independently of dPR, for all sorts of reasons. One use case is
> accessibility: a css layout for low-sighted users who have their browser
>  zoom set to a massive multiplier. This currently breaks layout on most
> sites, even responsive ones. (Setting media breakpoints in ems fixes some,
> but not all of the problems.)

When zooming breaks the layout of a page, that means the page lays out
poorly when the viewport size in CSS pixels takes on certain values
(usually, unexpectedly small values). That just needs to be fixed.
Knowledge of zoom ratio won't help, since exactly the same errors will
occur if the page is loaded on an unexpectedly small screen without zooming.

> Another use case would be the artistic one, in which content or layout
> changes creatively on zoom, allowing user to create exploratory
> layouts-within-layouts that users can pinch-zoom their way into and around.

That sounds legitimate. However, pinch zooming does not effect
'resolution'/DPR etc per spec.

Personally I think we should avoid introducing new ways to expose zoom
ratios until the existing APIs are standardized, interoperably implemented
and properly understood by authors, or we're just going to add to the
confusion.

Rob
waanndt  wyeonut  thoo mken.o w