Re: [css-color] Safari 7 is color-managing CSS colors?

Hello Tab,

Friday, December 6, 2013, 4:27:35 AM, you wrote:

> It looks like Safari 7 has begun managing CSS colors, without
> mentioning this to anyone.  In particular, if you visit
> <http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/colorcube/colorcube-pngs-iCCP-CSS.html>
> on a wide-gamut (non-sRGB) monitor, the squares and their borders will
> be different colors on Chrome and Firefox, but the same color in
> Safari 7.

So to clarify "same color": if you have an sRGB monitor and a
wide-gamut monitor, and visit that site with Safari, you will see *the
same colour* on the two monitors with Safari while in Firefox and
Chrome you will see the right colour on the sRGB monitor and a
grotesquely over-saturated travesty of retina-searing flourescent
colours on the wide gamut monitor, right?

(Tab, you saw this on my monitor at TPAC so you know how different
these appear; the comment above is mainly for those who have not had
the opportunity to make the comparison).

> (If you visit it on an sRGB monitor you won't see anything special,
> since the border colors will be in sRGB even in the browsers that
> don't color-correct.)

Well, so much for not doing colour management on Apple platforms
because it might impact performance (which I recall being the ghist of
Dean's comment).

I have two wide gamut screens (my work laptop and my own monitor on my
home machine) but no platform that runs Safari to test it on.

> I haven't yet tested whether they color-manage untagged images as
> well, as required by CSS.

> Anyone from Apple have any further details?

I will be in the Bay area in mid-January (for an MPEG meeting, two
weeks before CSS/SVG in Seattle) and would be glad to visit with Apple
engineers to discuss this encouraging development with them.

--
Best regards,