Re: [css3-background] Distributing space for 'background-repeat: space'

From: Lawrence Francell <lawrence@twintails.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 11:52:23 +0000
To: www-style@w3.org
I would think that the ability to repeat and gap-step based on a measurement would be available for tiling. (Like saying “dashed” for a border)
I am unable to determine if this exists.

Whereas currently you can delay your starting (x, y) coordinates by giving a position and measurement (left 50px top 50px)

background-image:                     (1),                    (2),                   (3),                    (4),                    (5);
background-size:        (100px 50px), (100px 100px), (100px 100px), (100px 100px), (100px 100px);
background-position: (top 50px left),  (top left 50px),           (top left),          (top left),   (top 50px left);
background-repeat: (no-repeat no-repeat), (repeat no-repeat), (no-repeat repeat), (repeat no-repeat), (no-repeat repeat);

There needs to be available a way to say
background-repeat: (gap-repeat 50px no-repeat), (no-repeat gap-repeat 50px),
....and so on

    Therefore giving a measurement value after the word “repeat” or adding a term “gap-repeat” will place a gap between tile iterations of the image.

As well, this is just a thought, but there should be a way to repeat “5” times and stop perhaps “no-repeat” defaults with (1) and no-repeat 5 would display 5 tiles and stop.

    Therefore giving an integer after no-repeat will stop repetition after that count.

This probably adds more confusion to the spec.

Here is my reasoning (take a look into .basket-weave example) there is a layering that should seem to happen for the weave to display correctly, which could be achieved with four repeating-linear-gradient that have a "gap-repeat"
http://codepen.io/Twintails/pen/dLicu