CSS and spec fragmentation

From: Jens O. Meiert <jens@meiert.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2013 12:25:34 -0500
To: W3C WWW Style <www-style@w3.org>
>From my observations CSS has long started to suffer from its modular
approach, and we now seem to deal with a rather severe problem of spec
fragmentation.

As this affects HTML too (where I’ll bring this up as well, honoring
the different groups’ preferences) I’ve elaborated on this issue in a
short post:

http://meiert.com/en/blog/20131205/spec-fragmentation/

On the CSS side, some of the options I see (explained in said post) include:

* Extend the W3C’s main CSS overview page [1] by including and
maintaining a full list of all CSS specs, both at the W3C *and
elsewhere*.

* Make an effort to reduce the number of current specs and modules to
a workable minimum.

* Consider establishing principles around the desired granularity and
complexity of CSS as a whole.

I like to raise this so that the issue is flagged and that there can
be a healthy debate. I’m traveling but will follow along and add where
I can.

[1] http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/

--
Jens O. Meiert