Re: [css-syntax] Unicode discouraged characters for grammar symbols in the spec

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 2:12 AM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org> wrote:
> Le 30/08/2013 09:43, yh a écrit :
>> The current css-syntax spec extensively uses Unicode
>>
>> U+2329 LEFT-POINTING ANGLE BRACKET and
>> U+232A LEFT-POINTING ANGLE BRACKET
>>
>> for quoting grammar symbols.
>> (And also, they appear in some of other specs reffering css-syntax
>> grammar symbols)
>>
>> These characters are problematic when copy & paste or searching text.
>>
>> Indeed, I can't paste them here;
>> they are automatically converted into "〈", "〉" U+3008, U+3009 by OS
>> (at least under the OS I'm using, MacOS 10.7), after pasting.
>>
>> According to Unicode.org:
>> http://unicode.org/review/pr-122.html (*),
>> these characters are discouraged because they cannot occur in NFC.
>> I hope them to be substituted to e.g. the preferred forms for them
>> mentioned in (*):
>>
>> "⟨", "⟩" ( U+27E8, U+27E9 MATHEMATHICAL ANGLE BLACKET )
>>

> Or just stick with ASCII brackets. To deal with <url> becoming ambiguous
> (the token in Syntax and the value type in V&U), we could rename the token
> to <url()> or some other name.

That doesn't work, because Bikeshed already has that as a shorthand
syntax for referring to a function as a token.  ^_^

And as I said before, it's more than just <url> that's ambiguous -
and type.

That all said, I'm open to more suggestions about which character to use.