Re: [css3-fonts] font-size-adjust auto issue

On 08/26/2013 07:59 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> A much more intuitive and useful - for authors - meaning of <auto> would, I think, be "the aspect value calculated by the UA
> for the first available face in the current font-family list"; in other words, it would never cause any rescaling of the first
> available font, but if there is any text that falls back to a later font in the list (or an arbitrary system font), *that*
> font will be adjusted so that its x-height matches the first.

Given this definition, I think it's important to know what
the computed value would be -- is it 'auto' (so that this
recalculates in every element) or is it the resulting metric
(so that it inherits as an absolute ratio).

Computing to an actual ratio would allow matching up the
x-heights of elements with different font-families.

Inheriting as 'auto' would only match up fallback cases.
Which might be useful if you're mixing Latin/Greek/Cyrillic,
but not really useful otherwise.

~fantasai