Re: :stuck psuedo class WAS: specifying position:sticky

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 5:34 PM, Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org> wrote:
> This may be too early, but I think we should add a pseudo-class for
> position:sticky's that are stuck to an edge. This lets you easily style the
> stuck element (e.g. with a box-shadow).

Immediately bringing up the obvious question of what ":stuck {
position: static; }" does.

I think we can't avoid this problem forever, and that the right
solution is to define a set of "selector-affecting properties" and
"property-affected selectors", and say that you can't set any of the
former in a style rule whose selector contains one of the latter.

(That is, you can't *just* say "you can't set position inside a :stuck
rule", because as soon as another property/selector (foo-prop and
:foo), you can just set 'foo-prop' inside of :stuck and then set
'position' inside of :foo and run into circularity again.  You have to
treat the whole set of properties as infectious to the whole set of
selectors.)