Re: [css3-multicol] Section 8.1: Overflow inside of multicol elements and positioning

L. David Baron wrote:

 > > "Floated or in-flow content that extends into column gaps (e.g., long
 > > words or images) is clipped in the middle of the column gap."

 > So the thread so far has focused on the splitting behavior.  But the
 > key question about the spec text Scott quoted isn't the splitting
 > behavior, it's the clipping behavior.  Does the above quoted
 > sentence imply that any vertical clipping happens, or not?
 >
 > (Interpreted literally, it doesn't, but it's not clear to me that
 > that's what was intended; it's a very loosely formulated sentence
 > that doesn't describe its intent or mechanism very carefully.

The main purpose of the sentence, as I see it, is to avoid overlapping
content in adjacent columns. When setting, say, the number of columns
to 3 and not thinking about narrow screens, a designer is likely to
cause long words to overlap. So, I'd say that the sentence is accurate
enough, if somewhat asymmetrical.

 > I think the definition needs to be described in a way that aligns
 > well with the definition of painting order in Appendix E of CSS 2.1.
 >
 > For example, this definition implies that an extra wide relatively
 > positioned element (even with z-index) is clipped, but absolutely
 > positioned descendants of that rel-pos element are *not* clipped
 > (even though this rel-pos element is their containing block, and if
 > it has z-index, also their stacking context).  Implementing that
 > correctly requires a huge amount of implementation complexity, for
 > no value that I can see.

Would excepting relpos content from clipping make it easier? Like the
proposed text in this message:

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2013Aug/0526.html

-h&kon