Re: [css-om] CSSStyleDeclaration.parentElement

On Wed, 21 Aug 2013 18:57:12 +0200, François REMY
<francois.remy.dev@outlook.com> wrote:

>> So this property would point to the element for element.style but be
>> null
>> for cssrule.style et al?
>
> Yes. So that either parentElement or parentRule have a non-null value.
>

>> I'm having a bit of difficulty reasoning around your use case since it's
>> about polyfilling. For instance, getting flow-from implemented in
>> browsers
>> would remove the need for parentElement in your case.
>
> (1) there will always be a need to polyfill something on the web
> platform, and more generally to expose new functions to the style
> elements.

Yeah. But it's not a very compelling use case that is being presented, in
my opinion.

> (2) the whole point of the css object model is... to expose the css
> object model. why exposing parentRule but not parentElement? it doesn't
> really make sense to me.
>
> (3) beside polyfilling use-cases, what could you use the "parentRule"
> property for? did that prevent this property from existing?

I don't know what the use case is for parentRule. There's also
http://dev.w3.org/csswg/cssom/#dom-stylesheet-ownernode . But that's by
itself is not a good reason to add something else like it. New features
need to justify themselves on their own merit.

I would like one or more of the following things demonstrated before I put
the requested feature in the spec:

* a more compelling use case that this feature addresses.
* other developers working around the lack of this feature.
* implementation interest from one or more browser vendors for this
feature.

Thanks
--
Simon Pieters