Re: [selectors4][naming] Naming the drag-and-drop pseudo-classes

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 6:10 AM, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:
> FWIW, I think the other naming pattern is equally extensible in practice.

Yes, both patterns can be extended indefinitely and safely.  But...

> For instance, let's say we wanted to introduce a new selector for "nearby
> drop target" (nevermind whether that's useful, just something I made up):
>
> :nearby-drop
> vs
> :drop(nearby)
>
> No problem with either of them, AFAICT.

I intended to express something like what François said, where we can
use the parenthetical argument to contain multiple dropzone-filtering
keywords.

    :drop(nearby valid)

is shorter than

    :nearby-drop:valid-drop

and, in my opinion, a bit easier to read.

Plus, as much as we seem to prefer more "natural-seeming" names like
":valid-drop", many authors prefer standard "general -> specific"
naming, as it makes things sort better and helps with autocompletion.
":drop(valid)" is clearer than ":drop-valid", I think, so it strikes a
good balance between the two camps.

(Also, "nearby" is a pretty useful dropzone semantic, imo.)