Re: [css3-multicol] spanning element with only block children

"Gérard Talbot" <www-style@gtalbot.org> writes:

> Le Lun 19 août 2013 4:31, Morten Stenshorne a écrit :
>> "Gérard Talbot" <www-style@gtalbot.org> writes:
>>
>>> I believe this
>>>
>>> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3Multi-Columns/Opera/multicol-span-all-child-001-GT-ref.xht
>>>
>>> to be a correct reftest for this test:
>>>
>>> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3Multi-Columns/Opera/multicol-span-all-child-001-GT.xht
>>>
>>> Am I wrong? What am I missing?
>>>
>>> In my opinion, Chrome 28.0.1500.95 and Prince9 render the test
>>> correctly.
>>> In my opinion, Firefox 23, IE10, Opera 12.16 get it wrong.
>>
>> This one is tricky: http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-multicol/#column-span0
>>
>>         When space is limited, it may be impossible to find room for
>>         the spanning element. In these cases, user agents may treat the
>>         element as if ‘none’ had been specified on this property.
>>
>> I must say I wish this wasn't in the spec, though. It's hard to
>> implement correctly and adds no value.
>>
>> In other words, it is Firefox 23, IE10 and Opera 12.16 that get it
>> right. The reftest is invalid.
>
> Morten,
>
> Thank you for your response. I was puzzled ... and now I am confused :)
>
> The multi-column element (body element) has a set width to 10em and its
> 'overflow' is by default set to 'visible'. So, when or how could a
> multi-column with a spanning (column-span: all) element have limited
> space?

Forget about the width. This is about the height. The height of the
multicol is 10em. The height of the spanner is 12em + 4em of border =
16em. The spanner would overflow the containing multicol in the block
direction, so, abracadabra, make it regular multicol content, not a
spanner. :) This way there'll be no overflow.

> In this test, body has a set width of 10em; width is auto for the
> column-spanning div. If 'width: auto' for a block is interpreted as "take
> as much horizontal space as you can", then why would such situation
> considered as limited (constraining) space? or even an "impossible to find
> room" situation?
>
> In any case, I see sufficient width to render all of the column-spanning
> div within the multi-column element.
>
> Is there a restriction to elements that can be column-spanning elements?
> Can a block of blocks be a column-spanning element?

Yes and yes. Anything non-floating, in-flow block-level can become a
spanner.

--
---- Morten Stenshorne, developer, Opera Software ASA ----