Re: [css3-multicol] spanning element with only block children

"Gérard Talbot" <www-style@gtalbot.org> writes:

> I believe this
>
> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3Multi-Columns/Opera/multicol-span-all-child-001-GT-ref.xht
>
> to be a correct reftest for this test:
>
> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3Multi-Columns/Opera/multicol-span-all-child-001-GT.xht
>
> Am I wrong? What am I missing?
>
> In my opinion, Chrome 28.0.1500.95 and Prince9 render the test correctly.
> In my opinion, Firefox 23, IE10, Opera 12.16 get it wrong.

This one is tricky: http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-multicol/#column-span0

        When space is limited, it may be impossible to find room for
        the spanning element. In these cases, user agents may treat the
        element as if ‘none’ had been specified on this property.

I must say I wish this wasn't in the spec, though. It's hard to
implement correctly and adds no value.

In other words, it is Firefox 23, IE10 and Opera 12.16 that get it
right. The reftest is invalid.

> -------
>
> On the same subject, I believe this
>
> http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/opera/submitted/multicol/multicol-span-all-child-ref.xht
>
> to be an _incorrect_ reftest for this test:
>
> http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/opera/submitted/multicol/multicol-span-all-child-001.xht

Unfortunately not. :) This test is valid, because of what I mentioned
above.

--
---- Morten Stenshorne, developer, Opera Software ASA ----