Re: CSS properties for snapping during scrolling

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 3:20 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 6:16 PM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, this is one of my favorite features, and I agree with your analysis.
>> ^_^
>

> So, any comments on the actual proposal? :-)

Proposal's good, except for the tie to physical directions.

scroll-snap-[vertical|horizontal] should be scroll-snap-[block|inline]

scroll-snap-edge should have values of: "none | [ margin-block-start
|| margin-inline-start || block-start || inline-start ]".  Maybe add
just "margin-start || start" to it as well, which sets the edges in
both axises.

scroll-snap needs an additional value that abruptly jumps between the
snap points, rather than allowing smooth scrolling and then adjusting
to a snap point (this is used by things like spreadsheets).

I'd add an additional property for setting explicit snap points in
addition to the implicit points coming from the children, probably
with a repetition syntax so you can set up a snap point every 100px or
whatever.