Re: CSS properties for snapping during scrolling

From: Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 10:13:23 +1200
To: Fran├žois REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, www-style <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 6:36 PM, Fran├žois REMY <
francois.remy.dev@outlook.com> wrote:

>         - Cons:
> I'm not sure how well this would work in the case of a css grid where some
> elements span multiple columns.
> It cannot possibly work when you're using transforms as part of your
> layout process.
> It assumes the layout is not using something like subgrids (ie: wrappers
> divided into sub items that make sense on their own and on which you may
> perfectly want to stop.

I don't understand what you're saying here.

A different but interesting approach would be a "scroll-snap " property
> that would be formatted like a padding (except it would accept the value
> 'none' and have it has a default) and would define lines on the parent
> element relatively to the border box of the element.
>                 <header>Group 1</header>
>                 <header>Group N</header>
> Where both groups and items would have "scroll-snap-top: 0px" property, so
> you can stop at the beginning of a group, or at the beginning of an element
> inside a group.

> Another example, you could use "scroll-snap: none 5px" to allow to scroll
> either 5px before or 5px after any element horizontally, but the element do
> not affect vertical scrolling.

Have you got concrete use-cases where snapping to the margin or border
edges of an element would not work?

waanndt  wyeonut  thoo mken.o w  *