Re: [css3-multicol] Nested multicolumn elements rendering

"GĂ©rard Talbot" <www-style@gtalbot.org> writes:

> Morten,
>
> I have split this test into 2 sub-tests:
>
> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3Multi-Columns/Opera/Nested-multicol-fill-auto-M-Stenshorne.xht
>
> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3Multi-Columns/Opera/Nested-multicol-fill-balance-M-Stenshorne.xht

Nice.

> IE 10 renders
>
> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3Multi-Columns/Opera/Nested-multicol-fill-auto-M-Stenshorne.xht
>
> like this:
>
>   aaa      eee    | iii
>   bbb      fff    | jjj
>   ccc      ggg    | kkk
>   ddd      hhh    | lll

IE's multicol implementation rocks!

>>>but I cannot test that browser right now.
>
> Morten, for IE10, you can try
> http://netrenderer.com/index.php
> or
> http://browsershots.org/

Sweet! I'll start using those, rather than firing up VirtualBox every
time. :) Thanks!

>>> I've asked Hakom a similar question on July 21st and he answered:
>>>
>>> {
>>> If height [of a multi-column element] is auto, [then column-fill:]
>>> 'auto'
>>> and [column-fill:] 'balance' should produce the same result.
>>
>> That's only for continuous media, I think. The inner multicol is kind of
>> in paged media, and my main point is that column-fill:auto is meaningful
>> here. column-fill:auto should only be dishonored if the column heights
>> are truly unconstrained
>
> Then, there is some vague issue with this in the spec. How and when a
> column box height is truly unconstrained. I agree with you that in such
> test, Nested-multicol-fill-auto-M-Stenshorne.xht , it should be filled
> *_not_* in a balanced manner.

Yes, the spec should probably define what "the length of columns has
been constrained" means exactly. Is this constrained?

--
---- Morten Stenshorne, developer, Opera Software ASA ----