Re: [css3-transitions] Animation type of line-height

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2013 21:03:01 -0700
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Cc: www-style@w3.org
On Thursday 2013-08-08 20:47 -0700, fantasai wrote:
> Both line-height and tab-size take either <length> or a unitless number,
> which is interpreted as a length. There's no animation type for this,
> maybe we need to make one, like we have for length+percentage?

I don't think it needs a type.  The spec currently says:

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-transitions/#animatable-css :
  # line-height   as either number or length

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-transitions/#animatable-properties :
  # When multiple types are listed in the form "either A or B", both
  # values must be of the same type to be interpolable.

I think that's sufficient, and a new type isn't warranted.

The composite type ("length, percentage, or calc") is needed because
the composite type allows animations between any two values that fit
within the composite type.  (This, in turn, requires that we have a
way to describe the computed value, which we do in the special case
of things that go in calc().)

-David

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,