Re: [css3-multicol] Test with excessively wide column-gaps

From: Gérard Talbot <www-style@gtalbot.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 16:55:25 -0400
To: "Morten Stenshorne" <mstensho@opera.com>

Le Mer 7 août 2013 4:23, Morten Stenshorne a écrit :
> "Gérard Talbot" <www-style@gtalbot.org> writes:
>> Morten, HÃ¥kon,
>> http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/opera/submitted/multicol/multicol-gap-large-001.xht
>> http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/opera/submitted/multicol/multicol-gap-large-ref.xht
>> Please, can one of you verify, confirm that multicol-gap-large-ref.xht
>> is
>> *not* a correct reftest for multicol-gap-large-001.xht
> You are right - the reftest is now invalid. This was written for the
> 2009 version of the spec.
>> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3Multi-Columns/Opera/multicol-gap-large-001-GT.xht
>> http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/CSS3Multi-Columns/Opera/multicol-gap-large-001-GT-ref.xht
>> Please, can one of you verify, confirm that
>> multicol-gap-large-001-GT-ref.xht
>> is a correct reftest for multicol-gap-large-001-GT.xht
> Yes, this looks more or less right.
> One issue, though: It's displayed almost perfectly in IE10, but
> something seems to be off by half (?) a pixel or so. Looks like font
> anti-aliasing.

Thank you for getting back to me on this.

We have hundreds of tests which use Ahem font and correspondent reference
test files using images. This is the first I hear about what you say. So,
this is somehow worrisome.

Do you have ClearType on or off? Do you use ClearType default, initial

Are you using a color LCD display?

Is the phenomenon still occuring in all/every ClearType Text Tuner

If you reset all IE10 settings to factory default, is there still a half
pixel offset affecting test versus reftest ?

> You could avoid the issue by replacing every two-letter
> "word" with a regular block of width:2em and height:1em with blue or
> black background. No need for the Ahem font then. Alternatively, you
> could try using Ahem BOTH in the test and in the ref, but that may still
> be tricky to get right.

I would prefer to have tests use real characters instead of block-boxes
with colored background.

Creating a reftest with Ahem font is doable but seems tricky at first for
this particular test as you say.

I would like to understand and first be sure of what could be affecting IE10.

CSS 2.1 Test suite RC6, March 23rd 2011

Contributions to CSS 2.1 test suite