Re: [css21] What's the used value of left/right when overconstrained in relpos?

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 16:42:21 -0700
To: Sylvain Galineau <galineau@adobe.com>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 4:29 PM, Sylvain Galineau <galineau@adobe.com> wrote:
> For CSS2.1 the change that makes most sense to me is to eliminate the bit
> about
> values being ignored and make sure the width prose aligns with the height
> prose
> i.e. it consistently states that the specified steps define the used value.

Sounds good.

> Then CSSOM's job is to define the interop behavior of gCS(); here this
> means
> defining the set of properties for which it'll only resolve relative
> lengths
> and percentages and leave specified absolute lengths alone.
>
> Does that make sense?

To be specific, I think we'd define that, if the *computed* value was
"auto" and the computed value of the opposite property was non-"auto",
return the negation of the opposite property's used value.  Otherwise,
return the used value.  Right?

Are we sure the bugwards compat is worth keeping?

~TJ