RE: [css4-pseudo] The need for more powerful pseudo elements

From: François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 21:39:12 +0200
To: Sam L'ecuyer <sam@cateches.is>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
> [When multiple decorators are applied], which one stays?

I don't know if multiple decorators are allowed per-spec right now, so it's very possible the spec doesn't accommodate for that. Decorators are quite recent. My feeling is that they would be applied in order* (ie: if you have two decorator, the <content> of the second decorator maps to the generated content by the previous decorator.

But that's a question you should maybe ask to the people writing the Web Components specification (at public-webapps@w3.org). I'm going to see if I can get in touch with Dimitri Glazkov about this, to get his opinion.

By the way, I don't say we should deliberately not implement multiple pseudo-elements; they are people pushing for this in the WG and I believe it will possibly materialize in browsers at some point. That's probably an easier path for some reasons. I'm just saying I don't believe this isn't the best path to follow.

* For now, let's assume that by 'in order' I mean "decorator: dec1, dec2" == apply dec1, then apply dec2. There'll be other ways of doing this in the future but this is looking at even longer sight.