RE: [css4-pseudo] The need for more powerful pseudo elements

From: François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 17:52:01 +0200
To: Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
CC: Tom Wardrop <tom@tomwardrop.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
> From brad.kemper@gmail.com:
> Styling is exactly what generated content is for.

Please don't make such bold statements without making sure you're right on them. I would invite you to read the CSS Generated Content [1]'s abstract, introduction and table of contents: the spec covers absolutely nothing outside what is some real generated content like quotes, li markers, chapter & section header and in-document references.

CSS Generated content was created with only this in mind. However, people noticed it could also be used for more diverse styling by generating new content boxes à la XSLT and they were used a lot for this purpose. It's not because pseudo-elements were the revelator of this need that they are the best suited solution for the problem.

> I would love to have multiple ::before and ::after pseudos, as well as ::wrap, ::wrap-inner, etc. from jQuery.

I think what really matters is not what you would like but why you would like it (ie: use cases). If your uses case really cover CONTENT generation, then I think we should have a closer look on them. However if your idea is to add styling modifications to the content by generating new BOXES, decorators are really the best option.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-content/