[css-overflow-3] ::nth-fragment inspiration (Was: [2003] text flow from one element to pseudo-element)

From: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 19:43:15 -0700
To: "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
I had a serious case of deja vu while reading the ::nth-fragment portion of the CSS overflow spec. I requested text flow pseudo-elements in nearly identical form back in 2003 and again in 2006. I called it "flow" rather than "nth-fragment" but otherwise the proposal is the same. Needless to say, I'm in favor ::nth-fragment, and I even like the new name better. Glad to see the idea finally stuck, whether or not it was a conscious or subconscious inspiration. ;-)

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2003Jul/0006.html

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2006Apr/0051.html

http://www.w3.org/TR/css-overflow-3/#fragment-pseudo-element
> .article {}
> .article::nth-fragment(1) {}
> .article::nth-fragment(2) {}

Sometimes the gratification of working in web standards is not apparent for quite a while. ;-)

Cheers and have a great weekend,
James

PS. I have some *real* feedback on ::nth-fragment, but I'll send that in a separate thread.