Re: ::distributed and relative selectors (Was Re: [shadowdom]: Using :root to specify the insertion point in ::distributed)

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 14:52:34 -0700
To: Hayato Ito <hayato@google.com>
Cc: Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov@google.com>, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 6:59 PM, Hayato Ito <hayato@google.com> wrote:
> I am wondering that we can resolve this ':scope' issue for
> '::distributed' pseudo element by updating a relative selector spec
> somehow, though I am not sure how we should update the spec yet.
> From the view point of the syntax,
>
>   A) ::distributed(> .hello)
>   B) ::distributed(.hello:root)

Yes, I prefer A as well.  It just means we'll have to further split
hairs on the semantics of relative selectors. :/

I think this needs to be done by a separate "absolutizing" algorithm
(separate from the current one) that converts "foo" into "foo" (no
change), "> foo" into "foo"-but-only-matches-elements-without-parents,
and convert "+ foo" and "~ foo" into "" (matches nothing).  (Other
combinators like || and /for/ also turn into matching nothing.)

fantasai, what do you think?

~TJ