Re: [selectors4] Editorial comments on the 2013-04-17 ED

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 4:51 AM, Simon Sapin <simon.sapin@exyr.org> wrote:
> Response below, but first some additional comments:
>
> A few instances of "during" have been replaced by "dURLng".

Hahaha, I'm terrible at regexes.  (Rather, Sublime defaults to doing
case-insensitive matching.)  Fixed, and I verified manually that there
are no other bad uri->url replacements.

> The definition of :focus refers "activatable elements"
> http://www.whatwg.org/html/selectors.html#selector-focus
> but the #selector-focus anchor doesn’t seem to exist there.

Fixed (pointed to #selector-active).

> Le 25/04/2013 00:32, Tab Atkins Jr. a écrit :
>>> §3.6 should have an exhaustive list (and explicitly marked as such) of
>>> "parts that are not under the control of Selectors". If the rest of that
>>> paragraph is that list, just clarify that it is exhaustive.
>>

>> Made it less informal.
>

> Sorry my request was unclear, but the relationship between "the parts that
> are not under the control of Selectors" and the rest of the paragraph is
> still implicit. In particular, I’m not certain that there is not another
> part, not listed here, that is not under control of Selectors.
>
> Suggested wording: "… except for the following parts, which are not under
> the control of Selectors." Or start with exceptions, then "The rest of
> Selector syntax …"

Sigh, it's hard to make this sentence flow well in a completely
unambiguous fashion.  I've tweaked it closer to what you suggest.

> Maybe add that the case-sensitivity of language ranges is defined by
> rfc4647/bcp47, even though that happens to be (ASCII?) case-insensitive.

Done (by reference - I linked to :lang(), where it's defined).

>>> §9 Are time-dimensional pseudo-classes appropriates for slides, only one
>>> of
>>> which is shown at a time?
>>

>> Assuming that your document language assigns a time-position to them,
>> sure!
>

> Ok, so not in slide tools based on HTML and JavaScript. (At least not
> without something like Web Components.)

Yes, as HTML/JS is now.

>>> §9.1 "The :current pseudo-class represents the innermost element, or
>>> ancestor of an element, that is currently being displayed." I don’t
>>> understand "innermost or ancestor".
>>

>> I don't understand "innermost" either.  Removed.
>
> Ok, so :matches(:past, :current, :future) matches every element, right? This
> might be worth having in a note.

I don't think it's worth calling out explicitly.

>>> §12.3 I read the linked section of css3-text, but I’m not sure exactly
>>> which
>>> characters are "subject to whitespace processing". It especially should
>>> not
>>> depend on the results of the cascade in general or the value of the
>>> 'white-space' property in particular. Is it doable to have an exhaustive
>>> list of characters in Selectors?
>>

>> In section 4.1 of Text, the first paragraph says "White space
>> processing affects only ...".  That's what we're referring to.
>

> Ok. I think it would help to:
>
> * Link to §4.1 instead of §4
> * Use the same wording: s/subject to/affected by/

Fixed.