Re: [css3-text-overflow] Question regarding float and text-overflow: ellipsis

From: Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 13:14:13 +0200
To: "Alan Gresley" <alan@css-class.com>
Cc: "Zalan Bujtas" <zbujtas@gmail.com>, "Robert O'Callahan" <robert@ocallahan.org>, www-style <www-style@w3.org>
On Wed, 24 Apr 2013 12:39:17 +0200, Alan Gresley <alan@css-class.com>
wrote:

> I have change my mind. Firefox is handling what is a over constrained
> situation correctly. The line box (with or without eclipses) has to be
> painted over the floated input.

Just to avoid some possible confusion, the thing that overlaps the float
is an inline box, in CSS terminology. What the spec calls a "line box"
(and I assumed the same meaning in my mail) does not overlap the float.
See <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visuren.html#inline-formatting>.

--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Opera Software ASA