Re: [css3-text] Feature request: "white-space: ignore"

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 7:08 AM, Jon Ronnenberg
<jon.ronnenberg@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Alan and fantasai,
>
> I honestly don't understand your resentment against the proposed feature. As
> to being pragmatic, even if Flexbox was supported today, it will take 2-3
> years before it's viable technology to be used on www, based on browser
> history[1] and what's in the pipe-line[2]. Basically we are waiting for IE10
> to be obsolete and Saf6 (iOS6 also uses Saf6 which probably means iPhone3GS,
> iPod4th, iPad3[3] is out) and things gets even worse on Android.
>
> Adding 'white-space:ignore' not only fixes an important omission from the
> 'white-space'[4] property (as already noted in the spec), it is also a well
> defined and understood issue which can be remedied by a simple shim.
> Something that Flexbox can not. However, it doesn't make sense and is
> against the idea of standardization to proceed with such a shim, without a
> formal agreement or at least a sign of goodwill, in the W3C forum.

You can't fix "browsers are too slow in implementing!" by creating
more features.  ^_^  That's why you're getting pushback.  Flexbox is
the correct solution, and it will be supported everywhere more quickly
than a brand-new feature would be.

~TJ