Re: [css4-color] color-correction

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 12:55 PM, Simon Fraser <smfr@me.com> wrote:

> On Apr 18, 2013, at 12:16 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 7:39 PM, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> In this morning telecon, Chris objected to this new property.
> >> The minutes are not very detailed so I would like to know what the
> problem
> >> is with this new property.
> >>
> >> My reason for asking is that this property is very similar how Adobe
> treats
> >> colors in its authoring applications and acrobat.
> >
> > Chris can probably fill in better, but I believe his argument was
> > that, at the time color-correction was first proposed (years ago)
> > several popular formats were *not* color-managed.  In particular,
> > Flash wasn't.  Today, Flash can be color-managed
>
> It seems that it is possible for Flash developers to opt into color
> correction
> for their plugin content [1], but I don't believe it's possible for the
> browser to
> tell the plugin that color correction should be used by default, or what
> the color
> correction profile is.

Flash only does it for images that it links to, not vector art (according
to the article).
You're right that there is no communication between flash player and the
browser. The player queries the OS for profile support and if there's one,
image data is mapped to it. Untagged images are always assumed to be in
sRGB.