RE: [css-regions][shadowdom] @region rule and ::distributed() pseudo-element

From: François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 23:10:50 +0200
To: Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com>, "www-style@w3.org list" <www-style@w3.org>
> One drawback to using a functional pseudo-element compared to an @rule is
> more typing. If you have more than one selector argument to pass to the
> function you have to repeat .container::distributed() for each selector.

The lack of nested rules shouldn't be a reason to introduce more at-rules. Shouldn't selectors and @rules be kept orthogonal?

BTW, I'm wondering why the spec is using a pseudo element instead of a new combinator like ".."? This has two drawbacks: firstly, consecutives pseudo-elements could become syntactically valid and "a::distributed(div)::before" does not make sense; secondly all the other pseudo-elements only match one element, not many. Plus, that's longer to type.