RE: [selectors4] :not and :matches specificity (was :not(a, b) vs. :not(a):not(b)

From: François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 22:28:40 +0200
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
> Tab and I think the best thing to do here is go with the max. IMO this is
> actually the most natural interpretation. It also solves the problem of a
> chain of :not()s awkward increasing the specificity to some absurdly high
> amount

The problem of increased complexity could also be solved using :not(a,b,code,div,...) once we get multiple selectors in the not pseudo-class.

The issue I see with max-of-selector instead of class-like priority is that I can increase the priority of a selector by any amount just by adding an always-true :not statement

    a[href]:not(#undefined) {

      // do I beat the "a#TheLink" selector?

    }

Or did I understand your proposal the wrong way?
François