Re: [css3-multicol] Column rule outside the element and click target

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 14:12:57 +0200, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 12:55:41 +0200, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Simon Pieters wrote:
>>
>>  > Consider a multicol element with a column rule that extends outside
>> the
>>  > multicol element. If you click on the rule outside the element, what
>>  > should the click event's target be? In Opera/Chrome/Firefox, the
>> click
>>  > goes through the rule and the target is whatever is behind the rule.
>> Maybe
>>  > the spec should call this out.
>>  >
>>  > http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/saved/2206
>>
>> I can see users being confused when parts of the rule respond
>> differently to clicks. OTOH, it seems natural to clip at the edge of
>> the element, and implementations seem to do this. I agree that the
>> spec should describe the behavior. Do you have a proposed wording?
>
> I don't. Is there any precedent for something like this? Can it be
> defined in terms of the Pointer Events spec?

Since hit testing isn't defined yet, I suggest hand-waving the issue like
so:

"The column rule must be considered to be absent for the purpose of hit
testing (e.g. for the elementFromPoint() API) and determining event target
for pointer events. [CSSOMVIEW] [POINTEREVENTS]"

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software