Re: [css-flexbox-1] Untestable assertions

On 4/15/13 11:45 AM, "Arron Eicholz" <Arron.Eicholz@microsoft.com> wrote:

>On Monday, April 15, 2013 11:18 AM Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Arron Eicholz
>> <Arron.Eicholz@microsoft.com> wrote:

>>things.

>>criteria.
>> >
>> > Ahh but we have to verify normative statements in the spec that have
>> testable assertions. And in these cases they are testable assertions.
>>
>> Who is "we"?  If you're trying to imply that the CSSWG has to test
>>authoring
>> conformance criteria in order to exit CR, you're wrong.  No WG has ever
>>been
>> blocked from advancing for failing to test authoring criteria.
>
>"We" is test writers and the testers that have to verify the test cases
>that are written. The working group has very little to do with either of
>these. The WG sets of the criteria to write tests and right now it is
>loosely defined to encompass all normative statements require tests. Thus
>we then run into my issue that I called out.
>
>A WG would be blocked if such tests were written but there have been from
>what I can tell no cases written in CSS 2.1 (which has the most complete
>suite). In fact CSS 2.1 explicitly identified author information as
>non-normative. The Flexbox spec does not have similar text in the
>conformance section. This is another issue that should be corrected and
>actually would fix this problem all together.
>
>CSS 2.1 states
>#   At times, this specification recommends good practice for authors and
>#   user agents. These recommendations are not normative and conformance
>#   with this specification does not depend on their realization. These
>#   recommendations contain the expression "We recommend ...", "This
>#   specification recommends ...", or some similar wording.

>> pattern.
>>sentence this
>> way.

>> > Please point me to more situations like this. I will raise issues
>>because they
>> require tests to test authors' compliance with something. All the other
>>cases I
>> have seen similar to this right now are in notes, which aren't
>>normative.
>>
>> See: any part of CSS that would result in a validator error, any part
>>of HTML
>> that would result in a validator error, etc.
>
>I am not reviewing HTML, nor am I reviewing any other specs as the
>moment. I have found issues in the Flexbox spec and this is what I have
>called out for now. When I review the next CSS spec I will call out the
>same issues if I find them there as well.

>> > Yes really. It's easy to fix these simple grammar mistakes I have
>>pointed
>> out. I have edited specs and I know it takes only 5-10 minutes to make
>>simple
>> edits like this.
>>
>> I wasn't questioning the ease - of course it's easy.  I was questioning
> [...]
I'm not sure I quite follow the argument here; as I understand it, job #1
for the test suite is to verify normative requirements of the spec can be
*implemented*. Requirements that relate to how the feature should be
*used* - authoring requirements - are out of scope for the test suite. I'm
not aware of any rule requiring the latter to not use RFC2119 language,
nor do I grasp why they should not use such language.

Figuring out which is which seems pretty easy to me (and I very much doubt
you, Arron, have doubts); should we instead mark authoring requirements
with a specific class so they can be styled differently? HTML did this, I
think.