Re: [css3-multicol] Proposed edit for the pseudo-algorithm

Bert Bos wrote:

 > There have not been any comments since Fantasai's, as far as I know, and
 > I agree with hers, so I made a new text that includes her edits. See the
 > attachment.

... which is here:

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2013Apr/att-0225/tmp.html

I have mixed feeelings about the change.

On the positive side:

 - removing lines 03-10 simplifies the pseudo-algorithm

 - an obstacle for the spec is removed

On the negative side:

 - it's a non-trivial change to a spec in CR

 - it relies on references to WDs (even if only in a note)

 - we're removing parts of the spec that has interoperable
   implementations [1] -- possibly these implemenations may become
   non-compliant tomorrow, depending on what goes into the WDs

 - the note says that the definition of U may depend on the computed
   values of the 'column-count' and 'column-width' properties; I think
   this complicates shrink-to-fit computatations and may cause
   circular computations

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Oct/0859.html

Still, as this only affects a small number of elements (mostly floats
with auto-width) spec progress is more important than my mental model.
I'll go ahead with the change unless others object.

-h&kon