[css-overflow][css3-regions] CSS Overflow covering CSS Regions use cases

From: Johannes Wilm <johannes.wilm@sourcefabric.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2013 19:03:45 -0400
To: www-style@w3.org
Hey,
it is my understanding that some browser rendering engines don't want to
implement CSS Regions, as they believe that the CSS Overflow spec can take
care of all the use cases of CSS Regions.

Let me show you my use case -- BookJS. It's a tiny javascript script that
uses CSS Regions to create book like contents from plain HTML. It flows the
content into pages, and additionally it plays some extra content on each
page (page numbers, running headers) and lets some elements escape the
general content flow -- such as footnotes and  top floats (and hopelfully
soon: margin notes).

You can find some examples working with current Webkit/Blink here:
http://sourcefabric.github.io/BookJS/

I can understand that there may be reasons to prefer other ways than CSS
Regions, but it would be really good if the CSS Overflow spec takes into
consideration use cases such as this.

--
Johannes Wilm
BookJS Developer