Re: [css3-grid-layout] Syntax of track lists wrt named grid lines

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 16:55:10 -0700
To: Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org>
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 1:28 PM, Ojan Vafai <ojan@chromium.org> wrote:
> I'm confused, why do we allow multiple names for a single line? I agree that
> the parentheses syntax is better if we want to allow that, but the confusion
> of what this does outweighs the benefits of being able to have multiple
> names for a line.

Because a single line can mean multiple things in different contexts.
For example, the leftmost line could be the "start" line, but also the
"main-left" line, used to position the main content element.  If you
moved the main content around, you'd move its line, but not anything
positioned relative to the "start" line.