Re: [css3-transitions] Frame Rate

On Sep 26, 2012, at 20:39 , Jon Rimmer <jon.rimmer@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 15 September 2012 04:31, François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr> wrote:
>> I think Sylvain got it: it's to simulate low end hardware on high end
>> hardware (ie: making sure the anim is acceptable and the jigger isn't too
>> awful).
>>

> I don't think it is. I strongly suspect this is about working with
> animators who are creating content in traditional animation tools,
> like Flash or ToonBoom, who work at a traditional framerate of 24p
> [1]. If/when their animations are converted to CSS, the browser will
> play it at as high a framerate as possible, interpolating between the
> keyframes. This can result in a different "feel" to the fluidity of
> the animation, which will be particularly noticable to the animators
> who spent many hours working on it. You could argue this is a workflow
> issue, and they should switch to animating at 60fps, but some may be
> resistant to this, especially if they are deliberately trying to
> recreate the feel of traditional film and broadcast animation.
>
> It's worth noting that audiences can notice these things as well. The
> ability of different framerates to add or subtract to an experience
> has recently been in the news due to Peter Jackson's decision to film
> and show the film The Hobbit in both 24fps and 48fps [2]. Some
> audience members reponded quite negatively to preview footage of the
> 48fps version.
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24p
> [2] http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/28/editorial-48-fps-hobbit-preview-high-frame-rates/
>
> Jon Rimmer

I guess I stand firmly on the other side of the fence.  I saw the 3D owls movie (the owls of Ga'Hoole), and my verdict was that the animation and rendering were gorgeous, the 3D fine, and the 24 fps judder appalling and distracting.  (We don't need to discuss the plot, happily).

One does wonder whether this is the 'familiar'.  In some senses, it is quite odd that we add 'film noise' to digital material, sometimes (though it has a side-effect somewhat like dithering).

We have discussed syntax for step-wise transitions.  I suppose we could have a max-update-rate on animations and transitions, but maybe it's best if people get used to them being as smooth and beautiful as possible?

David Singer