Re: [css3-lists] position:marker and compatibility with existing 'outside' implementations/content

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012 19:45:41 +0200, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 8:52 AM, Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com>
> wrote:

>> In general, the model seems quite simple, which is often a good thing.
>> However, in some cases it seems all major implementations would need to
>> change, which makes me wonder if there would be compat issues.
>
> *Every* implementation is unique in how it handles outside marker
> positioning once you go past the most trivial markup.  At best, I
> could just specify one impl's behavior exactly, so that everyone else
> had to change.  What I've done instead is specify something that's
> *very close* to modern IE's behavior, because it was by far the
> sanest.  IE should only have to make trivial changes which only matter
> in edge cases.  Other browsers will have to change in minor or major
> ways.

Right, my concern was due to uncertainty regarding how common such edge
cases actually are on the web (and how common they will be for browsers
outside <!--[if IE]> for that matter).

>> 4) However, even so, the vertical alignment will be off if, for
>> instance,
>> the list-item's contents start with a block that has vertical padding
>> and/or
>> borders. Not even IE uses the hypothetical 'inside' position in this
>> case.
>
> Testcase?

OK. The marker is vertically aligned with the text in this case, even in
IE(9):

<!doctype html>

Or see <http://jsfiddle.net/nLrJZ/1/>.

--