Re: Used Style Computation (and Viewport/Canvas Layout)

From: François REMY <fremycompany_pub@yahoo.fr>
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 19:15:54 +0200
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Cc: "CSS WG" <www-style@w3.org>
> > Its used style doesn’t depend on the used style of its children (nor
> > should it even depend on their existence), right?
>
> *Almost*. I think the abspos children might generate scrollbars on the
> parent, which can affect its layout.

Indeed, in the case of 'overflow: not(visible)'. However, this affects the
layout of the content box (children), not its own layout, right?

> I'm working on a proposal that I'll bring to the list soon about this
> exact problem, actually.  It's part of a solution to the problem of
> very long lists in the DOM, and getting them to react and scroll
> performantly.

This is interesting. I'm not sure we've the same goals here, but I think our
solutions should come pretty close. I'll let you make the first move, and
see if I have things in my mind I can't achieve with your proposal. This can
wait as I'm still trying to find out what I have in my mind exactly :-)