Re: [css3-writing-modes] text-orientation:upright

Shinyu Murakami wrote:

> I understand it's a current limitation but I tested
> '-webkit-font-feature-settings: "vert" off' and found that does not
> work on some WebKit-based browsers and EPUB 3.0 devices, and that's
> not a standard feature of EPUB 3.0 CSS profile. This limitation will
> be solved in the future. But right now Japanese EPUB 3.0 ebooks with
> vertical text are being made and they need a workaround;
> '-epub-text-combine:horizontal' can be used for such purpose.

Understood.  Whatever hacks are needed for existing implementations is
really a separate issue, much like the hacks needed to deal with EOT
font loading in older versions of IE.

> > That said, I don't think this will be needed in most cases, since
> > this is really an edge case.  As more devices are available with
> > fonts that are more consistent about their use of vertical
> > alternates (i.e. a world without MS Gothic), the need to worry
> > about this edge case will also evaporate.
>
> I don't think this is an edge case. All modern Japanese fonts
> supporting vertical typesetting have rotated ←↑→↓ glyphs. Using '←'
> for up-arrow in vertical text may be a workaround but we want same
> up-arrow in both vertical and horizontal text.

An author may need either behavior - if writing A → B then the use of
the vertical alternate is completely natural.  If the → is used to
refer to signage, then an author won't want to use the alternate.  The
case you're concerned with is the latter one and that's the one I
think isn't that common, that's why I'm calling it an edge case.
There are ways to work around this, either disabling vertical
alternates explicitly or by using 'text-combine' as you suggest.

Regards,

John Daggett