Re: [svg2] request for review of new SVG properties

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 23:30:24 -0700
To: Sebastian Zartner <sebastianzartner@gmail.com>
Cc: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 10:25 PM, Sebastian Zartner
<sebastianzartner@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dirk is right. The CSS specs should be changed to clearly specify that
> IRIs are allowed. There were already other discussions about this
> [1][2].
> A quick test (using one in "background-image") showed that all major
> browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera, Safari) already support IRIs. So
> I suggest you replace the <url> definition by <iri> throughout the
> specs and give a clear definition of what it implies.

We're not going to change the name, because <iri> is a stupid name
that nobody outside some rarified standards circles ever uses.  The
thing that you use for links is called a URL in common and most
technical parlance.

I have no problem with clarifying the definition if necessary,
particular if it's merely to reflect current implementations.